The number of college applications that could be affected after hackers claimed to have infiltrated a large number of them, said an official with the National College Admission Council, an association of colleges and universities.
College applications are expected to be impacted this fall.
“We are anticipating that the number of applications that may have been compromised will exceed those that were affected by the previous cyberattack,” said Richard Bennett, executive director of the NCC.
“The impact of this could be significant.
We have not been able to determine whether or not the affected applications are affected.”
The U.S. government is investigating the attack, and several states and cities are asking colleges to tighten security precautions.
The U:s Department of Homeland Security said Friday it has issued a nationwide alert for colleges and university leaders to consider a new security plan to improve security in the face of a cyberattack.
Officials said that, after learning about the attack last week, they decided to issue a nationwide national alert.
About 3,000 applications were compromised in the breach.
“Our investigation has determined that the intrusion was conducted by an unknown group of individuals,” said U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services spokeswoman Katie Hetzer in a statement.
“This information has not been shared with the U.s Department for Diplomatic Security.
We are currently gathering additional information to determine the extent of the breach.”
The announcement came after the U:ss Department of Justice charged five men in California with being the ringleaders of the cyberattack, including two who were charged with cybercrimes.
The men allegedly operated a botnet that stole information from thousands of universities, including about a third of the top 10 universities in the country, according to a criminal complaint filed Friday.
The botnet was designed to collect information from computers and other networks.
The accused, who all remain at large, are also accused of taking part in another operation that allegedly stole credit card information.
In the criminal complaint, prosecutors said the suspects used an “attempted breach of a U. s Department of Education network.”
The department said in a tweet Friday that it has been working with the FBI and the U,S.
Secret Service to identify the hackers.
The department has deployed the FBI Cyber Incident Response Team to help the department better secure and investigate cybercrashes.